refreshing an object

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Tue Aug 15 19:37:38 UTC 2006

Normally, objects are only ever refreshed upon crossing a transaction
boundary; begin and commit, at outer-most transaction-level only, and
abort (which resets transaction level back to 0).

There is one special situation _if you are not in a transaction_, where
your view will be refreshed (via abort) automatically.  It happens when
you have not crossed a transaction boundary in a long time and other
sessions have piled up lots of changes against your session (see
#hasExcessiveNumberOfChallengers).  In this case, for the health of the
server, the client will perform an abort automatically, causing objects
to be refrshed.

If you are in a transaction and not ready to commit or abort.. I guess
you're out of luck..  We probably need a "continue" like GemStone..?