Save vs. Commit

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Wed Mar 22 15:25:05 UTC 2006

I am converting a legacy app that uses explicit "save" operations
after each change to the domain model. Changes are rather infrequent
(like 10-50 per day). It used to be the case that a "save" just
serialized the whole model.

Now to adapt this to Magma I'd rather not wrap every modification
into a commit block, but use the existing "save" call to commit.

According to

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5605

there is a fitting commit strategy dubbed "2) User-controlled
transactions, with auto-begin". So if I understand correctly, I would
open a session on startup, get the root to load my model, do a
#begin, and in the "save" method I just do a #commitAndBegin. Right?

I intend to do all of this as single user using a local session in a
single server image - is there anything I'd need to watch out for?
Like, is there a time-out on the session?

Thanks!

- Bert -