Multiple indices on MagmaCollections: brp's naive solution

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Fri May 19 15:54:45 UTC 2006

Hi,
> Again, this all sounds dandy to me. :) Can you guys point me to the
> appropriate no-promises-MCs for me to play with?

Take a basic 3.8 image and load the following SqueakSource packages:

	Magma1.0-cmm.4 (or higher ymmv)
	Lava-brp.28
	Lava testing-brp.23

After this load the attached Magma research-brp.12 archive.

The Lava packages are only required to provide some test data.

1. Open a workspace and create the test repository:

	LavaTestResource current.

2. Explore the following query expression:

	query := LavaTestResource current people
			where: [ :p | (p familyName equals: 'Pinkney')
						& (p age between: 30 and: 60) ]
			orderBy: [ :p | p age ].

3. Execute the quey by asserting the following:

	query size = 2

Explore the query to see the simple bitmap used to hold the results of the query.
This naive implementation will not scale but it is the departure point for a real solution.

I will foward Chris mail on how to play with his partial solution which I have described elsewhere
in this thread.

Please feel free to badger me on this problem - we need a good solution.

Brent