next steps..

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Wed Nov 22 04:46:07 UTC 2006

The queries are done and turned out a wonderful improvement to 1.0.  Now I have found my previous dusty image where I was before having begun that wonderful detour.

Ah yes, like a time capsule, everything just as I had it.  Monticello shows 10 packages with lots of changes.  Great, now I can see not just versioned code but the actual trajectory I was working on.  This is the "1.1" version, a.k.a., "Magma with security."

Magma works well behind a web server, why complicate things?

Well, let me clarify, unless you "turn on" the security, operation of 1.1 will be almost identical to 1.0 without security.  Also, I will not allow performance to be compromised more than.. at most 5%-10% when running with security off (with privacy security on, I expect performance to drop dramatically).

At a minimum, 1.0 and 1.1 will share the same file-format and execution environment.  If this can be achieved, there will no need to stay with 1.0.  The key is to make sure it defaults to "most usable, least secure" since that is more naturally compatible with project life-cycles (starting simple and then needing more serious things once the project gets more serious).  Behind a web-app will still be just as usable and just as fast.

But before repositories of objects directly accessible from within the Squeak environment can be shared across a public network, we gotta have security.  That's the core requirement, and that's what is next for Magma.

Wouldn't anyone else like to see World menu -> open... -> Mailing List Browser.  It connects to a publicly-hosted db with a rich model of Threads, Messages, Posters, SqueakPeople, etc.  People could query for answers and run the (for example) doIt examples riight there, directly in the image..