Processes gone wild bug isolated

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Oct 5 08:02:11 UTC 2006

Hi Chris!

As always - nice with such fast responses!

Chris Muller <chris at funkyobjects.org> wrote:
> Hi Göran, thanks for the image.  It really does make the difference between total speculation and finding a plausible explanation.

As it turns out, the root Q2User's model's processes is a proxy with no session.  The only way this could possibly happen is if sessions were once cleaned up (MagmaSession cleanUp) which becomes them all to nil.  The proxies in the image at that time now suddenly reference nil instead of their session.

Without a session, materialization cannot succeed, these proxy's are useless.  The proxy does not check for a nil session and therefore, the resulting DNU results in the classic "non-debuggerable situation".

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-January/087592.html

which is a Squeak bug introduced in 3.8 (it didn't occur in 3.7) that results in the orgy of spawning Processes instead of a debugger.

This image needs to be cleaned up and the problem should go away, but obviously something better needs to be done with the #cleanUp method so this situation doesn't happen again.

Ok, so the next step for us is to figure out why this Q2User refers to a
Q2Model that has an "old" proxy in it, right? I have a suspicion about
that and will check it. Thanks!

regards, Göran

PS. Only discovered yesterday that serverloader .23 was available at the
Magma repo but not at the MagmaTester repo which I have been tracking.
Oh well, you did tell us. :)