3.9

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Sat Sep 9 17:37:27 UTC 2006

> Outage occurred while writing system-definitions!  Will now attempt
> to repair.

This error means a power outage occurred right at the point the
hard-drive was in the middle of writing the class-definitions.
Class-definitions are only ever written when a new kind of object is
added, for the first time, to the repository.

So this error is almost impossible to encounter under normal
circumstances.  The most likely cause here is some difference in 3.9's
FileStreams that has caused different read offsets or something.  I do
recall some squeak-dev discussions about the default mode for
FileStreams (binary vs. text), but I thought I was always explicitly
calling binary after opening the streams; maybe there's a place where
I'm not.

I would of course like for Magma to be compatible with 3.9.  To make
that happen, the test cases are the place to start.  Starting with the
low-level ones first, in fact.

  MaObjectSerializerTestCase suite maDebug.
  MaHashIndexRecordTester suite maDebug.
  MaHashIndexTester suite maDebug.
  MaClientServerTestCase kickoff.

finally, if all these pass,

  MagmaTestCase kickoff

I'm really buried these days.  If anyone is interested in working
through this and getting Magma up and running on 3.9 I can offer
grateful assistance.

 - Chris