Exploring once more

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 15:06:45 UTC 2007

Dear Chris,

Long ago I was puzzled about this comment in the repository:

Name: Ma proxy support-cmm.30
Author: cmm
Time: 16 July 2007, 9:54:02 pm
UUID: 771174c7-a9ef-a641-948b-6f2108e86d9d
Ancestors: Ma proxy support-cmm.26, Ma proxy support-kph.29

- Merged Keith Hodges changes for MagmaMutatingProxy's to initially
display in explorers indicated as a proxy (even though it still mutates
just as soon).  This is very useful for seeing how far the ReadStrategy
went.  Thanks Keith!

Essentially you were saying that exploring, for which my submitted
changes were intended, was not working. However it was working fine for
me, in Gjallar (Squeak 3.8) So imagine my annoyance when I discover that
in Squeak 3.10 your comment above makes sense. i.e. it does not work at all!

After investigation it appears that the culprit is the preference
#visualExplorer! The visual explorer's attempt to obtain an icon from
the Proxy reifies the proxy before you get a chance to view it in the
explorer at all.

So as an initial workaround we can disable the #visualExplorer preference.

I will post a proper fix to the repo.

cheers

Keith