Do NOT use MagmaCompressor (was: Re: Error on server side)

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Fri Mar 9 02:24:59 UTC 2007

All,

In light of the problem Hilaire has uncovered, please don't use
MagmaCompressor at this time.

I have confirmed a couple of issues with the compressor that are
leaving certain classes it thinks are unreferenced behind (such as
unreferenced superclasses of *referenced* subclasses), leading to the
"class id not found".

I am working on this fix, some improvements, and a "Repository Map"
tool that will print a detailed report to diagnose, and even fix some
types of issues related to the repository files should it ever be
needed.  For example, the objects.idx file can be completely rebuilt
from the "objects" file, if necessary (even though it never should be).
 Should anyone ever encounter this type of issue again, this tool will
make the problem much clearer, particularly through e-mail.

I am also considering extending the use of the "commitPackages" file,
which is a "transaction Log" of the commits since the last flush used
for recovery in the event of a power-outage.  Currently, every commit
flushes the serialized MaCommitPackage to the commitPackages file and
forks a 5-second timer after which the other repository files will be
written to disk in the background (with appropriate Monitor guards, of
course).  After this flush, the commitPackages file is repositioned to
the beginning where the next commit overwrites the previous
commitPackages.  I don't think it would take much to do like commercial
databases and keep appending to the commitPackages file so it could
even be applied against the last cold backup if necessary, but it might
introduce some added complexity..

Given my schedule at the moment, all this might take a bit, thank you
for your patience.  In the mean time, please do not use
MagmaCompressor.

Best,
  Chris