Chris Muller has a new e-mail address

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:39:10 UTC 2007

Hi Marcelo, here are the packages, in load-order.

    Ma exception handling
    Ma base additions
    Collections-BTree
    Ma special collections
    Ma special collections tester

    Ma traverse object graphs
    Ma proxy support
    Ma object serialization
    Ma object serialization tester
    Ma time objects
    Ma client server

    Ma client server tester
    WriteBarrier
    Magma client
    Collections-BTree
    Magma server
    Ma Armored Code
    Magma tester

Note you can simply install the current release (Magma tester) from
SqueakMap you will have most of the above.

Here is some quick information about each package:

    Ma exception handling - Generic superclasses for various kinds of
errors (MaUserError, MaSecurityViolation, MaSoftwareError, etc.).

    Ma base additions - Generic superclass MaObject.  Note you may
ignore the MaOverrider hierarchy and MaProgressBarMorph, those are
used by Maui only (a UI framework for Morphic).

    Ma special collections - Includes MaHashIndex and
MaHashIndexRecord, which are the back-ends for MagmaCollections (large
collections) and their indexes.  Note you don't need to worry about
MaTree, MaPermutator, or any of the MaDictionary hierarchy.  The first
two are not used by Magma, and MaDictionary only exists to fix a
Squeak-specific performance issue I doubt exists in any other
Smalltalk.  You also don't need WeakValueBTree.

    Ma special collections tester - SUnit test cases for the above.

    Ma traverse object graphs - extensions to Object and others for
visiting each node in its graph.

    Ma proxy support - Lightweight mutating and also a forwarding
proxy.  Inherit from ProtoObject.

    Ma object serialization - Serialization framework that offers
first-class object API to serialized object graphs (e.g., #graphDo: [
: each...).  This is essential for Magma because no domain classes are
on the server.  It is also heavily used by Ma client server.  Note
48-bit oids.

    Ma object serialization tester - test cases for the above.

    Ma time objects - There may be Dolphin equivalents for these..

    Ma client server - Client-server framework uses an easy object
protocol.  Accesses Squeaks TCP Sockets.  See
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2978.

    Ma client server tester - test cases for the above.  Multi-image
test requires a special way to invoke (not through SUnit Test Runner).

    WriteBarrier - Package from Avi Bryant.  Although Magma supports
it, it defaults to off.  If this is not easy to port then don't bother
with it, but you might still keep the "writeBarrier ifTrue:[]" logic,
just for code consistency with Squeak version..

    Magma client - The client package.  Uses everything above.

    Magma server - The server package.  Contains a running session for
the server session, so requires every package abot.

    Ma Armored Code - SUnit enhancement for testing network programs
in multiple running images (i.e., separate OS threads, real TCP
sockets).

    Magma tester - the full test-suite for Magma.  Big and kinda
complex, lots of tests.

Here are some thoughts you may like to consider for the port.

    - strive for cohesive interoperability between the Squeak and
Dolphin versions.
    - strive for total file and network compatibility.
    - to facilitate forward evolution, the code and package structure
should try to stay as consistent as possible.
    - hope a maintainer will be able to apply fix and enhancement
deltas to the Dolphin version, test and release.
    - Do you plan to release with a similar license? (Squeak Magma is MIT)

Regards,
  Chris