Magma benchmarks with different MaDictionaries comparison

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 12:18:28 UTC 2007

Hi Florian, thanks for trying the latest version.  I just posted a new
version, 1.0r40gamma4 which, along with the suggestions below, should
address (hopefully all) of your issues.

> - I wanted to run it under linux but it doesn't want to, looking for a
> 'squeak.exe' intead of 'squeak'.

I changed that to "SmalltalkImage current getSystemAttribute: 0".
Does that work for you on your Linux?

> - I got a problem with firefox taking one of the listening port of the
> squeak image.

How did you figure that out?  The Magma test cases listen on 1314,
1315, 1316 and 51969.  Why would Firefox be listening or connecting to
one of those ports?  In either case, you can set MaNetworkTestCase
class>>'NextPort' to whatever value you need for your system.

> - I got a MNU on Set>>first in TestSuite>>maExecuteTestsUsing:result:.
> Added two asOrderedCollection and it seemed to work.

It sounds like you are running a special version of SUnit.  At this
time, Magma supports only the versions of Squeak that are listed on
the Magma home page.

Nevertheless, it was easily fixed by using #anyOne instead of #first,
which is included in gamma4.

> - I got a complain about the MagmaPerson and MagmaContact because it
> didn't found the right files.

They're available on the documentation page:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2661

Did you put them in your image directory?

> - After that the tests worked ok until i noticed the cpu down after
> some time and saw an Error primitiveFailed on
> StandardFileStream>>primSetPosition:to: on the _magmaTestServer image.
> Magma was trying to use an old MagmaSession from the benchmarks and
> couldn't open the repository. There should be some cleaning of the
> image before the test. Something like that : MagmaSession
> disconnectAndCloseAllConnectedSessions.
> MagmaRepositoryController initialize. MagmaServerConsole allInstances
> do: [:i|i shutdown]. Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> (btw I managed to gc all the MagmaSession with this but I don't know
> if it's the proper way).

Hmm, that might be too presumptious for Magma to go closing down your
open db's...  For now, please just clean up your own databases if you
don't want them open.

> - I got an error EmptyStream during SecureHashAlgorithm>>hashStream:
> with MultiByteFileStream: 'c:\temp\Magma\objects.5.idx' as argument on
> the _magmaTestServer. The _testConductor image shows 'remote
> performing  captureFileChecksumsWithCopy: with arguments #(false) in
> server'. The file size is 0 octet so I don't know what the hash is
> suppose to answer on this one.
> I modified the
> MagmaTestCase>>fileChecksums method to put 0 in the answer if the file
> is empty (file atEnd).

Please expect the tests to run from start to finish without any
problems.  If they don't, there's  a problem and what you are doing is
simply trying to hide a problem with the test that shouldn't have
occurred in the first place.  When you have as many problems as you
had getting this far, it's very likely this was caused by a previous
problem.  You should focus on getting a clean run before trying to
"fix" potential non-problems.

> Then an assertion failed when comparing the
> hashes of the files before and after a rollback and the only
> difference was that the empty file was missing. So I change that
> method again so if the file is empty, it's not listed in the dict.

Not a good change because it shouldn't happen.  If it does we need to
investigate why, not simply hide it.

> - Finally I got an assertion failed during 'remote performing
> verifyAddedStrings with arguments #() in client1'. The assert was on
> _magmaTestClient1 in MagmaTestCase>>verifyAddedStrings where
> 'afterImagesProgress size' equals 0. No idea what to do next.

It sounds like your earlier failures led to later failures.  The test
cases should run from start to finish without interruption.

 - Chris