lots of .hdx files

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:21:49 UTC 2008

(Sorry, I just joined the list, so I've used the archives to pull the
relevant email I'd like to quote)

Just as a bit of background, I'm having a similar issue as the
original poster, where I have a proliferation of transient index files
that aren't being deleted.  Now...

> Look on the documentation page:
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5859
> under the heading "Sorting" for your answer.

Looking at that page, it says:

"These files are automatically cleaned up when the session disconnects."

The trouble is, what if you have, say, a long running MagmaSession
driving a Seaside application?  In my case, I'm just using the
MagmaSoloAuto helper, since it's a fairly simple, low-traffic
application, but because (as I understand it) the underlying
MagmaSession object *isn't* disconnected across Seaside session
boundaries, I get a huge number of .hdx files that never get deleted.

Or, at least, that's my speculation.  Does this sound likely?

Ultimately, my particular problem is that this behaviour, combined
with the open-file limits on seasidehosting.st, makes my application
impossible to deploy there, as it rapidly exceeds the maximum number
of open files allowed.

Of course, for all that griping, the question is what to do about it.
At minimum, I'd like to be able to instruct Magma to throw away
transient indexes at some time of my own choosing (in particular, when
a Seaside session expires).  Is this at all possible?  Heck, even the
stopgap solution of having these files *not* held open would be
useful, though I have no idea if that's doable, either.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brett.