Setting up a repository

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 16:54:25 UTC 2008

Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> 4. Is acceptable/possible to have more than 1 repository to 1 system ?
>>>
>> Yes, not only is it acceptable, it is recommended to partition your
>> domain by meaningful boundaries.  For example, in my system I separate
>> the Accounting domain from the Contacts; each in their own repository,
>> even though Accounts reference Contacts residing in the other
>> repository.  This is accomplished via MagmaForwardingProxy.
>>
>> This partitioning provides many benefits.
>>

> That sounds very good. How does the forwarding proxy know where to reach
> the object? Does the proxy know some repository id and that will work as
> long as I have a session open pointing to the corresponding repository?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

The "Magma seasideHelper" framework has code for this partitioning. You
define a root object for each partition or domain, and then use
aMagmaSessionHelper rootAs: TheDomainRootClass to return the appropriate
root object... well at least that is the theory. I havent had as much
chance as I would like to test this out fully.

It may be a useful idea to pull this functionality out into a package
that is not dependant upon seaside.

Keith