[squeak-dev] OmniBase/Magma - how big??

Brent Pinkney brent at zamail.co.za
Fri Feb 29 09:12:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

> IMHO I think Maall agreed gma would SHINE if we somehow could boost the
> serialization/deserialization mechanism in it. Because I suspect this is
> where the bottleneck is regarding the above. An Exuperified Magma could
> be the answer - or some other HARD approach - I dunno. Chris?

Chris, Andrew, and I looked into this a while back.

You can get pretty good read performance by setting up indices and read strategies correctly.

However, we did look at the performance bootlenecks and agreed that the logic that deserialised bytes off the wire could be significanlty improved with a Squeak plugin.
#maUint if I recall.

Brent