Updating an index

Norberto Manzanos nmanzanos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:30:17 UTC 2008

> No, that is wrong.  You may be thinking of GemStone, which indexes the
> values of instance-variables.  Magma indexes the return value of the
> method denoted by the indexed attribute.  Changes in variables have no
> bearing on updates, you have to send #noteOldKeysFor:.

Perhaps I didn't express the idea correctly. I meant Magma updates
automacally indexes with match an instance variable. Indexes wich may change
by a value answered by a method must be updated manually (using
#noteOldKeysFor:). I'm quite sure an index was not updated for thise reason,
while the others were.

> You never want to use an index that can only have two values.
> Instead, you would simply have two collections, one for the true's,
> the other for the falses..

I don't get your point. Do you mean I might divide the collection (once) so
half of the objects are in "true state" and the others in "false state"?
That's not possible, since I have many state conditions for one single
object. Even if I had only one state, it's not very confortable to divide
things that are thougth as bound. I'd have to consider that this particulars
objects are divided in two, while others are not.
Or do you mean, I have to persist the objects in different collections, each
pair of collection correspoding to a true-false condition.?
I think this is not very nice. And the problem of the singularity of one
kind of objects persists.

Regards
Norberto