[ANN] r42Alpha1

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 02:17:04 UTC 2008

I am pleased to announce the first alpha release of Magma 42.

42 adds the ability to start the repository which was output from
MagmaRepositoryController>>#fullBackupTo:, at which point it will
automatically "join" the MagmaNode of which the original repository is
a part, and becoming a read-only "warm backup" that is updated
continuously by the original server running at the #primaryLocation.

A MagmaNode is simply an Array of MagmaRemoteLocations that act as a
cluster of servers each supporting their own physical copy of one
logical repository.  Besides the improved read-scale, we get
continuous, automatic backups, 24x7x365 operation, and the ability for
the Node to crawl from one  data-center to another without ever
bringing the system down.

This alpha release passes the entire legacy test-suite and has been
manually unit-tested for a variety of the MagmaNode test cases.  Some
day I will adjust the automated test suite to include these tests.

Enjoy,
  Chris