MagmaCollectionReader behavior - try Lava

Brent Pinkney brent at zamail.co.za
Wed Apr 1 07:51:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

> First, I didn't mean to be rude.
Don't worry, wlecome to Magma. I am one of the other Magma developers who works with Chris to develop Magma.
We use Magma in a telco environment and it surpassed our expectations.

> See it this way. Most of the developers, including me, have used RDBMs
> for almost all our professional work. The change to an ODB can be at
> first very appealing, and at the same time, very dificult to grasp.

May I suggest you install the 'Lava' and 'Lava testing' packages from SqueakSource.
Lava is a (beta) extension of Magma to provide a SQL interface to Magma.
That is, Magma collections can be wrapped in a SQL table schema and then queried using SQL.
The SQL is converted into Magma queries.

Now, obviously Magma offers more sophisticated collections and indices than a rectangular RDBMS table,
but the SUnit tests in the lava package have proven to be a useful tutorial for those coming from a RDBMS
as it shows how irregular data can be stored, indexed and retrieved.

Feel free to ask the list.

Brent

Brent