Trying to launch pharo image..

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:17:07 UTC 2009

El jue, 13-08-2009 a las 10:30 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:
> I decided to see what it is like to load Magma into Pharo.  But I
> couldn't get the image launched:

Thera are 2 versions of Pharo,

1. PharoCore (the minimal packages to boot an image, useful for
production deployment of applications):

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

2. Pharo, (this is PharoCore + packages for development). this has
variants:

2.1 Pharo dev:
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22746/pharo1.0beta-10413dev09.08.1.zip

That includes packages for development in smalltalk (desktop apps, and
smalltalk learning in general)

2.2 Pharo web:

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22747/pharo1.0beta-10413web09.08.1.zip

that is a Pharo dev + seaside/pier.

this can be used for developing webapps with seaside/aida/pier.

For these you need as always:

I. a VM (this *must* be a closure enabled VM)
  (Windows)
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.3-bin.zip
  (MacOS X)
http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/Squeak%204.1.1beta2U.app.zip
(Linux)
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22745/pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip

II. a sources files:
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22339/SqueakV39-sources.zip

III. and image (this is the shown above, in the first part of this mail)

Also, thanks to Torsten the windows users have a ready made setup that
includes the three things and an installer for win32.

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22748/setup_pharo_0.0.0.9.exe

Now, it is advisable to test on the PharoCore always as this is the
image that is the base for everything.
So you'll need to download an apropriate vm (again, with closure
capabilities) the sources file and the PharoCore.
Remember to update your PharoCore image on first download with

System -> System update

One thing to have in mind. If you are using a linux vm, there are bugs
with 64 bit architectures (amd64, x86_64): the networking doesn't work
in 64 bit (linux but I think that windows 64 bits it is also affected).

Other thing to have in mind. There is a difference in the build of vm
for linux. there are builds for 32 bits and build for 64 bits. Both of
them will run the Pharo/PharoCore image. But if you try to run a 32 bit
vm on a 64 bit linux installation (as mine, a Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny
amd64) you need to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries for the
squeak vm to run.

aptitude install ia32-libs

or something equivalent for the distro involved.

I think that is all.

Feel free to ask any question.

Cheers and welcome to Pharo
--