Fwd: Why Gjallar is a "bad" Magma example (was Re: Great News - Pharo Support - Now Seaside.)

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 22:40:32 UTC 2009

> What version of Magma are you running?  As for performance, Magma came
> a long way in performance department in r41 and r42.  If you still
> have performance "problems" in r42 then I'm _really_ curious to see
> the stats report from a troubled client session as well as the server.
>  If you:
>
>  myMagmaSession statistics report
>
> for the client, or, you can alternatively print it to any stream (if,
> for example the printString limit can sometimes be hit with these
> reports):
>
>  myMagmaSession statistics printReportTo: someStream
>
> and post it up here (or send me private e-mail if it's too sensitive)
> it would reveal a lot about the _nature_ of Gjallers usage of Magma
> and potential problem areas..
>
> If you are running an HA (which provides more scale, but necessarily
> more speed for individual clients), then please be sure to get stats
> from _both_ the primary and secondary:
>
>  myMagmaSession serverStatisticsPrimary report
>
> and
>
>  myMagmaSession serverStatisticsSecondary report

I know that am a bit lazy in reading the code to learn the usage of a package.
I always prefer tutorials and examples.
Given the *huge* codebase of magma and the complexity, for a common
guy like me, the
laziness is bigger.
But, when reading the magma mailing list I always found gems like this
(that I have been
collecting for future reference) that it appears that nobody else knows.
This is the reason for my call for a better documentation for magma.
It is really a very
good piece of software and I'm sad that doesn't receive more
acceptance and attention.

We need to collect them and show the people how to use magma in
everyday scenarios. Now
that I will have more free time I will try to do a little tutorial
about magma and I will include these
code snippets for others to see and use.

Cheers
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx