printString usage in Magma

Bart Gauquie bart.gauquie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:36:27 UTC 2009

Dear all,

We're using Magma to develop an app; in the gui we're sometimes using
anObject printString to show the default properties of an object.
I've noticed that if Magma has a proxy in its place, it prints anObject
instead of the printString I defined on that class.

Looking at the definition of MAProxyObject, that seems logical that Magma
does that.

I will define my own own method to print these default properties of the
class? I suppose printString is regarded as a 'textual description', but not
to print info to the end user? I come from a Java world there you have the
toString() method, is this analogous to the printString in Squeak?

Thanks for any advice,

Kind Regards,

Bart