test suite later failure Squeak 3.10 + Vista

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:49:07 UTC 2009

Hi again,

> I started with a clean 3.10 image and added NewCompiler and Magma
> tester, but not OSProcess.  The testConductor popped up windows telling
> me to launch various images manually, which I did.

While it *should* work, I have never once manually started images to
run the test suite.  I recommend installing the OSProcess plugin
manually or from SqueakMap.

> Further into the test I had to relaunch one image.  I walked away, and c
> 30 minutes later came back.  There was no activity and the last line in
> the transcript on the conductor was
> "launching ..\_magmaTestserver.image".
> Unlike previous times, there was no window telling me that OSProcess was
> not loaded an I should launch manually.
>
> The last few lines above the launching message in the transcript are
> remote performing setSiumlateServerOutage
> remote performing commitDistaster
> waiting for server to shutdown (twice)
> Could not connect to port 1316.
>
> The transcript scrollbar suggests there might be a line below the last
> visible line.
>
> I launched the _magmaTestserver image manually, but nothing happened.  I
> tried to manipulate the conductor, but, as had been the case throughout
> the test, it was unresponsive to mouse clicks (or movement: putting the
> mouse over resizing handles did not change the icon).  I tried ctl-. and
> alt-.  The bottom part of my conductor window showed white with WARNING:
> event buffer overflow when I moved my mouse into the area of the regular
> image.  The bottom part of the window had a scrollbar; the very top of
> the (white) scrolling region says
> # Debug Console
>
> It's possible the window prompting to launch the other process manually
> was covered by other windows.

Hmm, possibly..  It certainly sounds like something went wrong.

> Also, _magamTestclient2.image has a window titled "Verify these
> projects" which says to go into a bunch of projects to see if they look
> ok.  Then it lists the projects, saying "not present" after each one.
> It is correct: they aren't there (only the conductor image seems
> unresponsive).  The projects are
> Building with Squeak
> Fun with Morphic
> Fun With Music
> SmalltalkIntroduction
>
> I have a couple of ideas.  First, maybe the projects are not present
> because they were stripped out of 3.10.  Second, maybe the main failure
> described above is the result of a long wait before I launched the
> server image.

Yes, this is a legacy test for Projects that has "failed" due to
non-presence of those Projects since 3.8 I think.  You probably aren't
going to need to store Projects in your Magma repository anyway, I
wouldn't worry about that.

The server-player is killed several times during the Magma test-suite,
you would need to be there to baby-sit, possibly within a time-out
period to manually restart..

Therefore, I recommend once again to find a way to get the OSProcess
plugin installed to run the Magma test-suite.  Have you tried from
SqueakMap?

Kind Regards,
  Chris