Magma test failure becomes success?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Sep 12 07:09:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 09:54 -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi, sorry about that.  This *should* be mentioned in the documentation
> (I will update it).
>
> To move forward, the choices are either:
>
>  1)  install NewCompiler from SqueakMap
>  2)  Evaluate:  MagmaTestCase allowWriteBarrier: false
I loaded NewCompiler and OSProcess, proceeding past some threatening
warnings (roughly "will not work without ...").  I think I got them on
both NewCompiler and OSProcess.  I think some note to expect these
popups would be helpful on the installation page.

I ran the tests, and they seem to have completed OK.

Dumb question: how do I know if the tests passed?

The last thing in the transcript on the TestConductor is "Done" and
there are no errors right before it.  There are no popups saying that
something has failed.

This was with a 3.10 image from squeak's download page and Debian's
3.10.3+svn1902.dfsg-1 squeak-vm.  i386 architecture.  The VM is one
minor version below the "known to work" VM versioin (3.10.4) on the
install page.

Assuming the result was a pass, I can now move on to making my app!

I'm also trying to get a pier/seaside working; so far none of the
one-click downloads will even run on the amd64 machines I've tried.  I
have a feeling the distributed VM's are 32 bit so that, or at least the
fact that I don't have 32 bit compatibility libs installed, may be the
problem.

So the recent exchanges about integrating magma and pier or seaside are
very helpful.

Ross