[Vm-dev] A trick to speedup #become: (but not becomeForward:)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:49:54 UTC 2011

On 1 August 2011 21:30, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes. And if you remember i gave you the code with another oid mapping
>> implementation,
>> which avoids using big-integers and a bit more simpler (i hope).
>
> The current Magma relies on the ".idx" file to lookup locations of
> objects in the objects.dat file.  Since oids are allocated
> consecutively, the file only grows as much as the db allocates new
> oids.
>
> Do you happen to remember; whether you had a new scheme for looking up
> location of objects in the objects.dat file, since I assume you can no
> longer allocate oids consecutively?

no. i didn't changed anything like that. you can allocate oid consecutively.
In my changes i just rearranged a id space between special object ,
like ints, big ints , floats and chars,
to try to avoid jumping in large integer range for object id if its possible.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.