Magma tests failed on Windows XP

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 15 17:50:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:37:28PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Thanks for reporting Hartwig.  Do you happen to have
> OSProcessPlugin.dll in your squeak vm directory?  If not, but are able
> to compile a C program on Windows, this mail from Eliot might help you
> generate the C source-code which can then be compiled into a working
> Plugin which you can drop into your vm directory.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-June/160354.html
>
> As well, the latest cogwin.zip at:
>
>    http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2459/
>
> includes the plugin binary - but I don't know if that problem will be fixed.
>
> I know this has been a problem for a some time - I have just contacted
> the author of OSProcess and asked for assistance.

Hi, that would be me :)

> Magma itself does not use OSProcess - only the test-suite does to
> auto-launch the other squeak images which are only used as players in
> a network-based test-suite.

OSProcess on Windows has only minimal functionality, so the portions
of the test suite that use OSProcess for launching other squeak images
may not work on Windows at all. Certainly #forkSqueak will not work
on Windows, and anything that involves communicating between the
squeak images through pipes is not going to work.

I don't know the specifics of how OSProcess is being used in the
Magma tests, but if it relies on OSProcess features that are not
present on Windows (very likely), then I can suggest the ProcessWrapper
package on SqueakSource as a possible alternative for implementing
the tests on Windows.

Note, I am traveling and cannot look at any Squeak or Magma code at
the moment, so apologies for the rather vague response here.

HTH,
Dave