3.9: Numbering?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Aug 3 03:55:53 UTC 2005

Hi Doug -

>>The new setup is not working? What appears to be the problem?
>
> The diff-file generation is not working on the SqueakSource server that
> we are currently using at http://source.squeakfoundation.org.

I see.

> I'm working on the problem now, trying to set up a new SqueakSource
> image with Bert's diff generation capability included.  (Avi originally
> set up the SS image, but he's offline for awhile so I'm taking that over
> for now.)  In theory we could just not use the diff generation and have
> everyone load the full .mcz for every update, but IMO that might hammer
> the squeaksource server a bit hard and we might as well just get the
> diff generation working, since it's already working at Impara.

True. On the other hand we might as well serve the packages via Apache
or so - there will be *plenty* of situations where we'll be able to
fetch those packages and it might be worthwhile to get this going so
that we're not killing squeaksource with the requests. After which it's
only a question of bandwidth and I think we've got plenty.

> Bert helpfully sent out the list of a dozen or so installed packages in
> the Impara SqueakSource image, but installing these packages in a fresh
> 3.7 image is turning out to be not as trivial as it should be, although
> it should be doable.  (E.g. I had to first track down all the packages;
> some of them need to be loaded in a certain order; some (KomHttpServer)
> seem to require being installed via SqueakMap and not MC; I ran across a
> bug in SimpleServiceEntry (which I fixed) which prevented some packages
> from being installed; etc.)
>
> Hey Bert, what is in your SystemFixes-bf package?  I didn't see that one
> anywhere online... that may save me some trouble.

Unfortunately, Bert is off for vacation - don't expect a response right now.

Cheers,
   - Andreas