Upate 6680

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Aug 16 20:55:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:13:04 +0200, "Marcus Denker"
<denker at iam.unibe.ch> said:
> I think we should release a 6680 3.9a image, this way people can test
> it. And we have something
> to replace the old 3.9a that is used a lot by people (the one that is
> older then 3.8...)

Probably a good idea.  I will eventually get the
source.squeakfoundation.org SS server working properly with the diffing,
hopefully within the next week or two as I have time.  We will still
want this fairly soon, as the main slowdown with loading complete .mcz
packages is not so much bandwidth, but the time it takes to load into
the image.

But I agree that we should move forward, so let's go with your plan, and
as soon as the SS server is fixed, we can change the Monticello package
back again so that it loads .mcd files instead.

> 1) Afterwards,opening MCConfig Browser we get an empty configurarion.
> I would have thought
>       that we want this to show the loaded config...
> 2) The update 6679 makes monticello believe that we have edited code,
> that will bring monticello
>       to ask us to confirm that loading the package is ok.

With #2 you could try adding the test for changes in 6679 that Bert
mentioned.  With #1, also try Bert's other suggestion, but if that takes
too much effort, we could fix that a bit later.

Then we could announce 3.9a-6680 as ready for people to try, with the
caveat that we will be adding .mcd-loading capability relatively soon
which should speed things up for people.

I notice that you've been doing a lot of harvesting of stuff into the
3.9a packages, which is great to see... people will want to try this
stuff.

- Doug