Feedback

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:21:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:51:26 +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
<goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> I do have an idea that we could add "Universe" as a new "type" of thing
> on SM, just as I would like to add "image" as another type, and possibly
> even "repository" (Monticello).

That's a very interesting thought; as I understand it, the goal of
SqueakMap was always to "map" the Squeak community in general, rather
than to be a list of packages.  I think this is a great goal, and one
we should try to keep sight of.  The question is, what are the most
interesting things to map?  At first, packages were an obvious choice,
but I think Lex makes a very compelling argument that as we move
forward we should be thinking in terms of sets of package versions
rather than in terms of individual packages.  In light of that, what
if we migrated SqueakMap towards keeping a list of package Universes
rather than a list of packages?  It would remain in its familiar and
extremely useful status as the gateway to the Squeak world, but would
delegate the responsibility for package-level granularity to the
individual Universes.

Avi