we really need help

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Tue Oct 11 07:56:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I''ve had a quick look... As I understand there are basically two
problems
- MC speed
- load order

For the first, MC is very slow for big packages. I think, that what
Impara did with the diff MC versions was to get around this a bit,
maybe this could help here, maybe improving dictionariy performance
would help too.
Anyway, I guess that the complexity is not linear, thus, looking at
the scripts in ScriptLoader does not surprise me if this is really
slow. Do you need _all_ packages in these scripts to be loaded at
once? I suggest to decompose as much as possible, else working on the
second problem becomes very painful. Another question: why do you do
a merge instead of a load? I don't think its worth merging, if people
have their own changes they have to deal with them before loading an
image update (after all, that was what changesets did anyway). I
guess, loading would again be faster than merging.

For the second problem (that's what I've been confronted concerning
be in this case of FasterRectangelInsetBy) it should be doable with
two packages that have to be loaded one after the other (thus, not
using the merger of the script!). The backporting feature of MC can
help here to create the pre-load package (backport all changes
without the critical one to the previous version).

Maybe I can have a closer look in the evening. How can I get to the
latest working version (IIRC, MorphicSplitters loading was working)?

Adrian