we really need help

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 16 07:38:00 UTC 2005

On 16 oct. 05, at 03:37, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Ok, a couple of things:
> 1. why should those scripts ever specify load? to my understanding,
> load vs. merge should always be controlled by a preference, so that
> developers are always able to merge their own changes. What do you
> think?

No idea. With load we got some problems and you with avi mentioned
that merge should work better (and it worked better).
So I'm following.

> 2. I put in inbox a version that doesn't bring up the merge dialog
> if there are no conflicts.

where? in ScriptLoader?
The inbox is not categorized right now. I will try to find some times
(arghhhh) to collect the changes.
also the ones needed for traits.

> Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Daniel asked for specific problems that should be addressed and
>> that  other people can help with. So, here is a list:
>> - image grow: after running updateFrom6693 and evaluating
>> "MCCacheRepository flushAllCaches" the image size is still about
>> 30MB, more than double of the size compared to before loading.
>>
> What image are you starting from? the one I tried started and ended
> at around 27MB. I'll explore this, but I can't say I understand
> what the images mean exactly at the moment.
>

>> - get rid of merge dialog. I tried to do a load instead of a
>> merge  but run into problems during load phase. But I don't see
>> what should  be different between merge and load in this case.
>>
> Got rid of the merge dialog for the case in which it is desirable.
> If there are conflicts, they need to be resolved explicitly.
>

>> - dirty packages that actually don't have a change (are new ones
>> without repository)
>>
> Can someone give me a precise, tested scenario that shows this?
> when I last explored this I found that the flag was really required.

Take the image 6693 and load script 4 normally you will dirty
packages and no conflicts.

>> Squeak,  problem)
>>
> True, but we need a specific, real scenario to profile and
> optimize. BTW, are we talking also when loading a diff, or when

mcz

>> - the script builder is an ad hoc solution to do bootstrapping.
>> ConfigMaps (as I understand them would do only one part, that is,
>> addressing the issues with MC in a more general manner, e.g., by
>> enhancing ConfigMaps?
>>
> I started out on making config maps do the load together, but
> actually, I'm not sure they are an improvement over the script
> loader - lots of code there we don't need (displaying them in
> repositories). I propose we get this working well, then think
> whether the code wants a different interface.

Yes