About MC for managing the image

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 18 18:01:05 UTC 2005

On 18 sept. 05, at 19:38, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2005, at 8:01 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>

>> For the second problem (2) above Avi do you know if creating a
>> package named Squeak with all the
>> subpackages as required would help minimizing the manual conflicts
>> resolution. I thought that MC
>> was supporting an atomic load so I would like to use that as much
>> as possible.
>>

> Can you explain what you mean here by manual conflicts resolution?

I mean try and error to find the order of the package.
apparently, now I lost all the work I did on harvesting recently
because I cannot load the morphic splitter works and merging I did.

> I do think that using a Squeak package with dependencies, or
> alternatively just changing a Configuration to have a load strategy
> more like a package with dependencies, would be a good idea.  When
> I recently tried updating a 3.9a image through a few configuration
> steps, it was bad enough that it took as long as it did, but it was
> awful that it stopped to ask me about loading over a modified
> package many times during the process - so I couldn't just walk
> away.  This wouldn't happen if MC's multi-package-load mechanism
> were used instead of explicit ordering.  It would also mean you
> wouldn't (usually) have to think about package ordering yourself.
> So it should speed up the process for everyone.

Exactly

> It also seems like configurations are maybe being posted to the
> update stream too frequently: I doubt I actually needed to go
> through so many intermediate steps to get to the final state.

I do not know I follow what marcus did. And as soon as he fight with
a configuration he created an image to save that state.

>   I assume this is why Impara uses the combination of explicitly
> posted configs, and just updating to the most recent versions in a
> given repository.  Alternatively, when posting a new configuration
> to the stream, you should remove old ones that are no longer needed
> or replace them with no-ops.

I think that we simply need HELP here because I do not know all the
subtleties and managing the image is not just a simple application.
For example, just loading the latest does not work with the latest
image with publish today and the harvesting I did since last week.
Just trying to load Morphic breakkkkkkks.

> This process is probably hardest on you guys that are doing the
> harvesting.

Yes so this means that we will not be able to do it on the long run.
because we should check too much stuff, the quality, the fixes,
... and find a correct loading order.

> From the point of view of both submitting patches to the /inbox and
> browsing through histories in a pre-packaged image, I very much
> like the new approach.  So, from where I stand anyway, all this
> pain *is* worth it :)

Yes but as I said if harvesting is harder then you can fill up the
inbox, nobody will look at it.
and especially if this is difficult. So what are the concrete
suggestion to remove as much as pain for the ordering as possible.
So I will try to create a Squeak package and try that ... but again I
think that we need help.

Stef