[Release] 3.11 planning

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 30 22:17:28 UTC 2008

> Having done this...
>
> 3.12 becomes 3.11 + MinorFixes + PackageUpgrades + Clean
>
> and we go around again every 6 months or so.
>
> Keith
My understanding is that the main objective for 3.11 is to get to the
point of testing the tool chain from end to end rather than worrying too
much about actual innovations for the kernel. Aim to tidy and remove of
packages that can be reloaded wherever possible.

The tool chain of course includes the build server which goes through
the process pretty much automatically.

1. Generating the content candidate test image,
2. Generating the release candidate base image,
4. Running tests.
5. and generating published images derived form the base image.

Step 1 Is working, via Installer + installer.pbwiki.com

Step 2 Is at the stage where we are not sure as to how exactly to go
about it. We definitely need atomic loading for this though.

The following to be automated by Bob the Builder.

Step 3. Sake/Packages now makes this possible
Step 4. Code has been written in latest SUnit, needs tidying, perhaps
refactoring a bit.
Step 5. Awaits Sake/Tasks and Rio handling of remote ftp sites.

best regards

Keith