[Release] 3.11 planning

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 30 22:37:32 UTC 2008

>> Option 1. Run the script using using DS to record all of the changes made to the image, then generate a cs from that which can be placed upon the update stream.
>>
>> Option 2. Save all packages from the prototype image to MC.
>>

> I think it might be a good idea to plan for a way to save a snapshot of the base starting image as well as all the scripts that were run to create the version. I'm thinking It would be good to always be able to recreate a version from whatever starting point was captured.
>
> Ken G. Brown
It is possible to snapshot the installer.pbwiki.com site as a zip.

It is also possible to obtain and save the script run by installer -
Installer view: 'MinorFixes'.

The plan outlined here is to harness the non-deternministic sources into
something version controlled before generating the final release. i.e
MC, DS, or Sake/Tasks Then generate the new release form the old release
+ the version controlled stuff.

Sake/Tasks is simply a variant on ReleaseBuilder, but each task
specifies dependencies. A typical fix to a class specifies a dependency
upon that class being in the image.

One idea is to take the fixes from mantis and load the source of each
fix into a Sake/Task method, so that the set of fixes, including their
sources can be version controlled as an mcz package.

The nice thing about this is that the "fix" tasks can be applied to any
image because the dependencies have been captured.

regards

Keith