[Seaside-dev] Porting RSRSS2 in VW

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Mon Sep 24 22:16:53 UTC 2007

> What will the differences between "your" and the "one from Cincom" be?

The "your" and "cincom" versions are more like pre vs post automation.
The importer rules are based directly off the Squeak code that exports
from Squeak to VW XML fileIn format.

The Squeak compatibility layer and various overrides are removed/updated
to make it more compatible with VisualWorks and ObjectStudio (in
theory). The port of Seaside is a direct port from squeaksource to store
- there is no Cincom-fork of Seaside for us.
> >From what I've heard to far the Cincom one:
> - uses VW URL

I think Alan put more emphasis than was intended. There are no plans
here yet.
> - includes some GLORP integration

Eventually, yes. That will hopefully be reasonably transparent to the
Seaside framework.
> - comes with OpenTalk and probably does some streaming stuff

Right, on top of the Opentalk-HTTP server by default. We're going to
provide Swazoo and WebToolKit adapters to help people migrate - or if
they want, they can stay on WTK or Swazoo.
> - mitght run on ObjectStudio

That is definitely a goal. There is a lot of interest in the
ObjectStudio community to run Seaside as well. So the more people we can
help use Seaside, the better.
> what else can we expect?

Documentation - exactly what that means we're still working out.
Tutorials, Commercial support. There may be some other surprises we can
slip in - we'll see if we have the time.

>> Regarding committing to SqueakSource, I'm the only one from the Cincom
>> Seaside team who has formally agreed to the MIT licensing so far.
>>

> Interesting.

We're working to rectify this. We're also considering how we could
publish back to Squeaksource from VW. No promises there.

Cheers,
Michael