[Seaside-dev] Fwd: Seaside-Squeak-Adapters-mu.7

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:40:32 UTC 2008

2008/3/24, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
> I think this mail did not properly appear on the mailing list:

That would still mean you can have them running in the same image
since Squeak supports only one locale per image.

>  - If no locale information is set, how do you handle CJK Unified Ideographs?

The same way everyone else on the planet does. The same way Java does.
The same way C# does. The same way PHP does. The same way Unicode
does. Unified ideographs are unified. That's it. Seriously Unicode is
the best thing you're gonna get. It has it flaws like everything else,
Unicode and Han Unification are reality, accept it.

>   - A better solution would be to interpret the 'Accept-Language' header

That is simply a hint and does not need to have anything to do with
the image. If I have my locale to de_CH (among three others) in my
browser and I enter some Japanese text, does this mean this text is
Swiss German? If I use the browser of a Japanese person and enter some
German text does this make the text Japanse? Encoding the language in
a character or string is simply broken. It makes life for us who want
to support Unicode only harder.

>   field and override the default locale settings per session,

Squeak supports only one locale per image.

> but I
>   still do not think that default value should be always Latin-1 (using
>   Character vale:).

There is no value that makes any sense. We could use (0 to: 255)
atRandom and that would have the same accuracy.