[Seaside-dev] Seaside 2.8 WAUrl>>takeParametersFromRequest: X-Forwarded-Host

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Tue Mar 25 01:44:15 UTC 2008

Hi All,

One of our testers is trying to deploy an application on a backend
server with Apache using mod_proxy to communicate and forward through
requests from the outside world.

It came to our attention that the #takeParametersFromRequest: method,
which rightly grabs the host, doesn't grab x-forwarded-host when it is
available. That means that the URLs put out by the anchor tag and other
such things will point to the internal address of the server instead of
the external address.

We can set #serverHostname in the properties, but that seems less
elegant than using the information available. I've patched our 2.8
version of Seaside for WebVelocity and VisualWorks 7.7. VisualWorks 7.6
is well past code freeze and is about to be released so it won't include
this patch.

On a slightly different note - why do all the urls come with a
hostname/port anyway? .. it's bad form to put out all this repeated
information for every url.

Cheers,
Michael