[Seaside-dev] about going alpha

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:41:51 UTC 2008

>  >>  > I don't think that the Universe approach works.
>  >>
>  >> What are the issues you see?
>  >
>  > - The integration of new universes is not possible without patching
>  > the main Universe distribution.
>
> No. Right now it's a class extension on UUniverse but it could as well
>  be a method called #addSeasideUniverse in WAAdmin.

Chicken and egg problem?

>  > - Some people are not willing to load the XML and the Universe Package
>  > into their deployment images.
>
> Who? Are those the same people have at least two UI frameworks in
>  their deployment image and at least one interacts in interesting ways
>  with the GC? And EToys? Some people are always unhappy.

Seriously, why would I want to load yet another package management
system into a deployed image? I am using the kernel image for most of
my currently deployed apps. There is no EToys in there.

Universe is a show stopper for many new -and oldbies. It is too
complicated to get Universe running.

>  As I said using Universes does not prevent us from having anything besides it.

Yes, but then I suggest to build it on top of what I suggested. Damien
will certainly appreciate, when he can load Seaside 2.9 into his
images using a Universe Package definition that he can download.

> As long as:
>  - it's clever enough, e.g. doesn't load anything that's already loaded
>  - there is a special "update to Seaside 2.9.x" change set
>  - you implement it
>  i have no issues with this.

I started, but have no time right now. The coming week I will have
more time again.

How would the "there is a special "update to Seaside 2.9.x" change
set" work in Universe?

> MCMs have several issues especially regarding updating and conditional
>  installation from 2.9.0 to 2.9.1. Also you can't really have an MCM
>  that adds Scriptaculous. All you can have is an MCM that loads
>  everthing that is needed for Scriptaculous and Scriptaculous.
>
>  > - Universe-XML: Essentially the same as above, just a different output
>  > format. There are some people that use that.
>
> Sorry I can't follow you. Can you elaborate a bit more?

You download a custom .cs, .mcm, or .packages file from a web app
where you specified what packages you need. After that there are no
more options, it just loads all these packages and their dependencies
in the right order for you. And all this with fixed versions. When you
update, you just load a new set of fixed versions.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch