[Seaside-dev] Re: [Seaside] How to show the errors produced when a SUEvaluator is used ?

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:02:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/08, Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >> I'm not sure how this stuff works but do we not return an Internal
>>  >> Error response for an AJAX request? If so, can't that just be detected
>>  >> client-side and something be done with the response contents? Maybe
>>  >> that's what #onFailure: does though...
>>  >
>>  > Yes, #onFailure: looks at the error code. The walkbacks should
>>  > therefore all set a propre response code, I don't they currently do
>>  > that.
>>
>> You're right... the walkback handler doesn't (the rest do). Can I just
>>  add "self requestContext response internalError" in
>>  #renderContentsOn:? Is that a valid mechanism for that now?
>
> Yes, that could be done. Maybe even in #updateRoot: then would even
> works for streaming servers.
>
> Another thing to consider is that some browsers (namely IE) do not
> display the response coming from the server (depending on the length),
> but a built-in error message.

Yeah, lame. I haven't seen that in a while. :) I sort of assumed it
only did that with an empty response.

According to this page:

http://www.404-error-page.com/404-error-page-too-short-problem-microsoft-ie.shtml

the required side is not very big so it works fine with WAWalkback.

Maybe we should include code somewhere (not sure where off the top of
my head) to pad a response with a 4xx or 5xx response code to a large
enough size? Or at least provide a method for people to call to do so.