[Seaside-dev] Scriptaculous-Tests-Core-obi.20 and JQuery-Tests-Core-obi.50

Gerhard Obermann obi068 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 17:30:28 UTC 2009

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Previous versions of Seaside added the attribute
>
>    href="javascript:void(0)"
>
> to anchor tags <a>, if there was no such attribute being specified. I
> removed that default attribute because of the following reasons:
>
> - It is not required for valid HTML/XHTML.
> - It add a considerable amount of noise to JavaScript heavy sites that
> don't use traditional href's, but onClick actions.
> - I did not understand the exact purpose as it was never documented
> (ok, I should have asked).
>
> Now I learned from the commit comments of
> Scriptaculous-Tests-Core-obi.20 and JQuery-Tests-Core-obi.50: "Use
> cursor:pointer for anchors, otherwise on some browsers the anchors
> with 'onClick' and without 'href' are using the text cursor instead."
>
> Am I correct in assuming that my change caused this problem?

-> YES, but I do like the solution without the href added by default!

> Furthermore, to what browser does this apply to? What is the desired
> behavior, do we want to patch every CSS or add revert my change to
> WAAnchorTag?

- Thats a good question!
  -> I would prefer to stay with your change and change only some CSS if
necessary!

- The issue applies to: Firefox 3.0.x, IE 7, 8 Beta 2, Chrome 1.0.xx, Safari
3.1 (Windows).
- I didn't check Firefox 3.1 Beta
- Only Opera seems to be ok on windows

Cheers Gerhard