[Seaside-dev] Issue 292 in seaside: Remove WAGemStoneMock* classes from Seaside-Tests-Core

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Jan 22 15:50:57 UTC 2009

Comment #8 on issue 292 by renggli: Remove WAGemStoneMock* classes from
Seaside-Tests-Core

Unfortunately the standard says it is undefined what should happen when
calling #next at the end of a Stream. In
Squeak this returns nil. In GemStone it throws and exception. In
VisualWorks it throws a notification that returns
nil if not handled. I think the implementation in VisualWorks is the best
one, because it works properly with both
streaming paradigm: you can either manually check for nil, or use an
exception handler.

Although I discussed with Philippe in private and I sort of understand that
he would like to be able to test with
streams that throw exceptions. Personally I vote to only test against one
platform. In our case this is
Pharo/Squeak and we do not try to simulate specific behavior of other
platforms, because that duplicates test
code and test runs. Even if we don't have continuous integration it usually
doesn't take long for porters to figure
out the problem and provide a fix.