[Seaside-dev] codecs overhauled (again)

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:18:23 UTC 2009

Agreed. I also would still like this protocol to be expressed in terms
of both an internal and external encoding pair (which I think (?) we
managed to agree to in principle at the last sprint).

Maybe we don't want to fully implement functionality that uses that
right now but it might still be a good idea to lay the groundwork for
it now.

WACodec external: 'utf-8' internal: 'utf-8'.  "an instance of WANullCodec"
WACodec external: 'latin-1' internal: 'latin-1'.  "an instance of WANullCodec"
WACodec external: 'utf-16' internal: 'utf-16'.  "an instance of WANullCodec"

WACodec external: 'utf-8' internal: nil.  "an instance of WAUtf8Codec"
(maybe there's a better value than nil for "native"? #native?)
WACodec external: 'utf-8'. "equivalent to above"

WACodec external: 'latin-1'.  "an instance of WAGenericCodec"

WACodec external: 'utf-16' internal: 'utf-8'.  "Error: no codec
supports that encoding pair"

I know this is my agenda item I keep pushing but I do think it will
help users understand what input and output they should be expecting.
I can try to find time to do this if you don't want to but I thought
I'd bring it up again since you were in there anyway.

Also, on another note, do we not want to keep tests that explicitly
test WAGenericCodec? I see that it's nice to have generic UTF-8 tests
that just test that there is *some* codec that will do the conversion
but doesn't it still make sense in the Squeak tests to make sure that
the generic codec is functioning properly? Right now the tests all use
"WACodec forEncoding:" which might not even return a WAGenericCodec.

Julian