[Seaside-dev] Enhancement to select tag

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 07:00:43 UTC 2009

Hi Lou

> I am a NOOB to both Seaside and HTML, and I have great respect for all the
> developers of Seaside, so I will take his word for it.  As there is only
> one value returned for the select (not counting multi-selects) and linked
> to one set of a getter/setter and the values of all the options are not
> returned, and are not linked to any getter/setters, why does Seaside need
> to control their values in the way it controls other input field names?

This is true, as long as you only use String instances for the list
items. Most Seaside applications use a collection of model objects
instead of Strings.

Another disadvantage of your solution is that a hacker might post any
new string value. This is not possible when Seaside keeps an internal
mapping.

There is no need for Seaside to control anything, but if you let it do
so things usually become much simpler. These are all low-level things
we usually let Seaside do.

I see that the values are local to a single list, so composition
shouldn't be a big problem. Furthermore the callbacks for each list
item are not really needed, a simple mapping between key and values
would probably save some memory. I created an issue for that:
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=374.

In your example I don't see why you want to set the values yourself?
Clearly I would write less code, if I just let Seaside do everything.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch