[Seaside-dev] WAPlatformTest problems in GemStone

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed May 6 20:45:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/5 James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net>:
>> All,
>>
>> #'testSeasideIntegerOnCharacter' requires WAGenericCodec, which is provided
>> by Seaside-Squeak-Platform. Is it a requirement that all implementations
>> support UTF8, or can we move this test to Seaside-Tests-Squeak-Platform?
>
> UTF-8 is pretty basic these days, you look really old if you don't
> support it. So no, it is not required but we strongly encourage
> platforms to implement it. However AFAIK GemStone has utf-8 support so
> I don't see why these tests fail.

The tests fail because #decodeUtf8Character: which is in
Seaside-Tests-Platform references WAGenericCodec, which is in
Seaside-Tests-Squeak-Platform. That's a big dependency no-no.

If the tests are platform-agnostic and required for all platforms,
#decodeUtf8Character: should be abstract in the common package and
implemented by each platform's test package.