[Seaside-dev] Debugging in Seaside 3.0 (issue 340)

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 08:04:38 UTC 2009

On 9/19/09, Michael Lucas-Smith <mlucas-smith at cincom.com> wrote:
> My basic premise is this: if you're in development, a debugger is more
> useful. If you're in production, you'll probably want to log the exception
> somewhere for later debugging anyway instead of showing the user a bunch of
> gibberish. Gemstone saves the stack in their db so you can actually debug it
> later - and with the debugging technique described below, you can do the
> same without having to save it (so long as you don't mind the memory cost of
> keeping the session and objects around).. or you could make it email you, or
> you could write the stack out to disk, etc. I think the least useful of all
> these options is to show the stack to the user.

Oh, I agree with all of that and I don't expect many people would use
the exception handler that simply displays the walkback. But the
exception handling was made easily pluggable so people can implement
whatever variation they want and that one is just a simple example. I
suppose if anyone feels strongly that it should go, it could... shrug.