[Seaside-dev] Seaside 3.0b1 release schedule

John O'Keefe wembley.instantiations at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 18:17:43 UTC 2009

My 2c :-)

Software is a continually moving target and we each have to decide for our
own product (or have decided for us) when to wait and when to cut-and-run.
 My experience is that as long as we are clear on what we are delivering and
what we are not, there isn't a real problem.  We shipped VA Smalltalk V8.0
with Seaside 2.9a3+ and nobody seemed too bothered.  Our customers who are
interested in Seaside understand that schedules don't always match up with
reality.  Yes, it would be nice to say that V8.0.1 includes Seaside 3.0b1,
but if we decide to ship with something called Seaside 3.0a4+ (or 3.0b1-), I
expect our customers to have the same response as they did for V8.0.

I agree that if we are going to mess with EsEntryPoint, we should do it now.
 As far as the configuration UI, I guess I'm not the best judge of how
important it is -- I've learned how to navigate what we have (although I
remember it was pretty confusing to me when I started).

I am very grateful for all the work that the community puts into Seaside and
I don't want to push the community to do something that it isn't comfortable
with.  In the end, declaring 3.0b1 is a decision that Lukas, Julian, and
Philippe will make (with advice from all of us), and I am happy to live with
whatever they decide.

John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.