[Seaside-dev] Seaside 3.0b1 release schedule

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:07:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/22, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>:
>>
>> On 22-Sep-09, at 11:17 AM, John O'Keefe wrote:
>>
>>> I am very grateful for all the work that the community puts into
>>> Seaside and I don't want to push the community to do something that
>>> it isn't comfortable with.  In the end, declaring 3.0b1 is a
>>> decision that Lukas, Julian, and Philippe will make (with advice
>>> from all of us), and I am happy to live with whatever they decide.
>>
>> Sounds to me like Michael is more concerned about having a well-
>> defined and relatively recent release that he can ship with VW 7.7.
>> Seaside 2.9a3 was quite a while ago, and it's come a long way since
>> then, but he doesn't want to ship "the latest code as of date X" either.
>>
>>  From the point of view of the Seaside project, it would be a good
>> thing to have the current code included in vendor releases. Now, maybe
>> it's too soon to put a beta label on it, and that's fine. As John
>> notes, an alpha release will serve just as well.  It would be silly,
>> though, to miss this chance to put the best quality code available in
>> front of a whole bunch of potential users.
>
> Yeah, we should do another alpha release.

Yeah, Philippe and I discussed this earlier today. I think we should
do a 3.0a5 this week. I'll try to get EntryPoint merged into
RequestHandler maybe tomorrow and we can do it after that.

My other concern is that we don't let a beta slip indefinitely.
Nothing else much except the first-experience (this may be more than
just the UI) currently looks important enough to me to force putting
off a beta so I'm hoping we can try to keep focused on that and not
keep adding stuff while we wait. None of this needs to be perfect...
just better and moving in the right direction.