[Seaside-dev] Remaining Issues for Seaside 3.0 release

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:51:25 UTC 2010

> Let me then ask my question differently: Is the *restriction" introduced in
> *GRPharoPlatform >> seasideCallbackMarker* is something *unnegotiable* (for
> example, related to the design of partial executions in Seaside 3, or
> whatever other fundamental reason)? Or, it would be possible to change it so
> as to accommodate #call: s in the above frame (#runCallbacks)?

The point is that:

1. You should not #call: from within the answer handing.
  - Seaside 2.8 incorrectly performs the call, incorrectly aborts the
answer handling at a random point and resume the wrong answer handling
when the called component answers.
  - Seaside 3.0 correctly throws an exception about the missing
marker. #call: is not possible at that point.

And the second point is Pier related and further discussion be moved
to the Pier mailing list:

2. You should not #call: from anywhere within the command execution of
Pier. Numerous assumptions will be broken in subtle ways (critical
sections, atomic execution of commands, persistency, error handling,
...) when you interrupt this critical code using #call:. Simply don't
do it, it does not work and is not supposed to work. As I said, use
the mechanisms Pier provides to display Seaside components (embedding,
#doAnswer, ...).

www.lukas-renggli.ch