[Seaside-dev] beta?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Tue Feb 16 00:30:59 UTC 2010

Mmmmm, ('1.0-a6' asMetacelloVersionNumber) sorts less than ('1.0-alpha5'asMetacelloVersionNumber). since 'a6' sorts less than 'alpha5'.

I could tweak the sorting algorithm for version numbers, but I was hoping that the string components in the version number would just sort as strings.

If you are set on using 'a' instead of 'alpha' I'd almost rather bite the bullet now and change the existing references...

BTW, the '-' is significantly part of the metacello version numbers. I haven't had any push back, yet, but I'm willing to wiggle aroun in the version component parsing space. Currently:

  1.0a6 parses into { 1.'0a6'. }
  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a6' }
  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. '6'. }

an alternate scheme could go with (A):

  1.0a6 parses into  { 1. 0. 'a6'. }
  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a6'. }
  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. '6'. }

or even (B):

  1.0a6 parses into  { 1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. 6. }

This doesn't help with 'alpha' part, but if you are strongly opposed to 1.0-a.6 then now would be the time to speak up, because I'm pretty sure that I can get away with supporting either of A or B ...

Now that it comes up, I'm probably in favor of B...

Dale

----- "Julian Fitzell" <jfitzell at gmail.com> wrote:

| Mm... I think there's no point changing everything. Since luckily you
| went with 1.0 anyway, why don't we just call this 1.0a6 then? Does
| that solve things?
|
| Julian
|
| On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <dale.henrichs at gemstone.com> wrote:
| > Julian,
| >
| > When I created the Metacello configuration for Grease, I took the
| liberty of using '1.0-alpha1' as the original version number. Grease
| is up to '1.0-alpha5.1' in Metacello. It appears that you are using a
| different naming scheme than that used by Seaside.
| >
| > Seaside 3.0 has made it to '3.0.0-alpha5.8' and Seaside 2.8 s up to
| '2.8.4.4', but I don't see any danger in version naming collisions for
| Seaside.
| >
| > The Metacello version numbers should coincide with the actual
| product versions, so pardon me for going ahead and using up some of
| the valuable version namespace for Grease.
| >
| > At this juncture it wouldn't cause too much disturbance to change
| the Grease version numbers to match your vision (technically published
| versions aren't supposed to change), but I'd need to know the names
| that you'd like to use for the already released versions of Grease, so
| I can change the Grease configuration and all of the other
| configuration that reference Grease.
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > ----- "Julian Fitzell" <jfitzell at gmail.com> wrote:
| >
| > | Just a heads up that we're thinking of rolling a beta real soon.
| At
| > | some level I'd like a little more polish on it, but realistically
| > | development has seriously slowed down, very few bugs are being
| > | reported, and people seem to be adopting and beginning to deploy
| and
| > | distribute the alpha. I'm just going to try to get our query and
| post
| > | fields sorted out and then that's it for my list.
| > |
| > | I'm going to number Grease as 1.0a at the same time as we go beta
| on
| > | Seaside in order to have a named version that we can refer to.
| > | Removing stuff from Grease will be problematic once it's out of
| > | alpha,
| > | so I don't want to rush it along too quickly.
| > |
| > | Last chance to shout if there are any platform issues or anything
| > | that
| > | need resolving before beta (ideally with a commitment to fix it
| ASAP
| > | :) ).
| > |