[Seaside-dev] expand Grease to support portability between Pharo versions?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Mon Oct 11 17:54:44 UTC 2010

Julian,

Have you considered that Grease could be used to ease porting
applications between Pharo versions?

As Pharo moves forward older versions of Pharo will have the same
portability issues that exist between different dialects of Smalltalk...

The portability issues that I've seen are not fundamental issues, but
peripheral issues like Preferences and the required use of 'Smalltalk
os' and 'Smalltalk globals' as the object behind the Smalltalk global
has changed it's class...

In my mind the reason for making the changes are certainly good ones,
but from a backward compatibility perspective they create "silly
portability" problems like we've just had that keep a perfectly good
project from running on older versions of Pharo, just like they cause
portability headaches for folks porting that code to another dialect (I
have yet to add #globals and #os to my Smalltalk poxy class:).

If these changes were included in Grease it would mean that folks with a
portability problem, could load Grease and address the handful of
obvious known problems ...

Just a thought...