[Seaside-dev] 3.1 repo?

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Sat Oct 23 18:20:04 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 07:47 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> GST:
> dunno

Needs small changes, but with proper unit tests it should not be a problem.

> There's still a place left where there's a mix of byte and character
> oriented data and that's URLs. Encoding works like this:
>   1. encode using  the URL codec
>   2. escape URL unsafe characters
>   3. escape HTML unsafe characters
>   4. encode with the page encoding
>
> The problem is step 1 will now deliver a ByteArray (which is
> technically correct) but step 2 and 3 expect a String. Step 2 could be
> changed to work with a ByteArray but step 3 can't. So we still need a
> way to go from ByteArray to String without an encoding.

At step 3 you should have only ASCII characters, so making (2) output a
String should be trivial.

> Depending on the solution chosen for URL encoding we might end up
> losing our URL encoding shortcut (#includesUnsafeUrlCharacter:) which
> is likely going to degrade performance on link intensive pages. The
> corresponding primitive could easily be written for ByteArray but I'm
> not sure we want to go that way.

Maybe the String primitive just works if you add it to ByteArray.  Dunno
about Squeak, but it's often the case for these primitives in GST.

Paolo