[Seaside-dev] Re: [Seaside Commits] Seaside 3.0: Seaside-Core-jf.682.mcz

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 01:52:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 11:48 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> 2011/1/4 Dale Henrichs<dhenrich at vmware.com>:
>>>
>>> GLASS doesn't reap sessions using the normal Seaside mechanism, so I
>>> created
>>> a WANoReapingStrategy class that did nothing and then modified the code
>>> in
>>> WACache to use that as the reaping strategy.
>>>
>>> GLASS runs with multiple vms and those vms are all sharing the session
>>> state, so it doesn't make sense to try to coordinate session reaping
>>> across
>>> multiple vms ... it is easier to run a separate vm that does the session
>>> reaping (once a minute by default) ...
>>
>> Yeah, we get that. The question at least the way I understood it
>> couldn't you just use the plain WACacheReapingStrategy instead of
>> WANoReapingStrategy/WANullReapingStrategy?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe
>
> Philippe,
>
> If you are asking _would_ I use WACacheReapingStrategy, the answer is
> probably no:)
>
>  - I prefer to be explicit that the reaping strategy is a noop, not a
>    side effect of the implementation ... GLASS users shouldn't be
>    tempted to change it in their applications
>  - I want to isolate myself from any future changes to
>    WACacheReapingStrategy that may effect it's noop-ness
>  - The class WANoReapingStrategy happens to have made it into the wild
>    amongst the current GLASS users so I'm disinclined to remove it

No, I agree with Dale: having an explicit Null Pattern reaping
strategy is much more explicit. The implementation of #reap seemed
unnecessary since it is not the job of the ReapingStrategy to
determine how to reap, but rather *when* to reap (the method is just a
private helper method that delegates to the cache).

My *real* question was: why do we need WANullReapingStrategyConfiguration?