[Seaside-dev] 3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Mon Dec 16 13:28:49 UTC 2013

On 16 Dec 2013, at 13:25, Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Johan Brichau <johan at inceptive.be> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Continuing the work on the Gemstone port of 3.1, I notice many gemstone-specific changes to the 3.0 version are not in the 3.1 codebase.
>> Things like:
>> - WANoReapingStrategy (and its uses)
>> - WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy is not being used inside the WACache initializer
>> - several other deltas in the .gemstone branch of the Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session packages
>>
>> I remember we ran through these things at the ESUG sprint but I thought they were either moved into the Seaside-Gemstone-Session and Seaside-Gemstone-Core packages or that these changes were not necessary anymore. However, I doubt about the WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy and its uses.
>>
>> Am I on a wrong track somewhere or were these things still pending?
>
> I believe we left everything cache related out but I'm not sure.
> WANoReapingStrategy certainly could go into Seaside-Core,
> WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy sounds GemStone specific though.

The classes themselves are now in Seaside-GemStone-Core.
Since there is a platform-specific package for each platform, that is ok imho.

The real problem is that both Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session require gemstone-specific versions, amongst others to be able to use the aforementioned classes.
If we could refactor the codebase such that all platform-specific changes can go into the platform-specific packages, we will make future maintenance easier. The changes are relatively small but they are maybe not so easy to abstract away. So I would suggest to keep it like that for now and take a look after 3.1.0 has been officially published.

Johan